Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Scuba Certified!

It's official! I finished all the requirements and I am now scuba certified along with Jeremy, my Dad, Hannah, and Daniel. It was a lot of fun, but for a minute there I didn't think I would make it. When we did our first open water dive the water was so murky you couldn't see something that was 2 feet in front of you, literally. It was a little weird and I started to get pretty anxious. I actually had to come up to the top a few times in the beginning because I was freaking out. Our instructor was great though and he worked with me by myself and I was able to calm down and get through it.

The second day that we did open water dives the water was much better and I didn't freak out. We had to show the instructor that we could demonstrate certain skills underwater. We had to be able to take our mask off, then put it back on and clear it. We had to be able to switch to our buddy's alternate air source. We had to manually inflate our BCD. Also, we had to do a navigation dive and demonstrate that we could control our buoyancy. Now that that is over, I'm ready for the fun stuff!

We leave for St. Thomas in one week and 3 days! I can't wait to do our dive there. It should be beautiful and the visibility in the water is supposed to be amazing. I'll be sure and post some underwater pictures after the trip!

3 comments:

  1. I used to know how to scuba dive, its lot of fun! I learned in beautiful Curacao and got to dive in nearby Bonaire (GORGEOUS!). I know you're going to have a blast! I want to get the Advanced proficiency one day and be able to do night and wreck dives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats. It will definitely be a different experience in the Carribbean. did you do you open waters at Blue Lagoon? The minute I hit the water in the FL keys all anxiousness went up with the bubbles on the first exhale.

    ReplyDelete